Leland Clipperton

Friday, March 12, 2010

Eyes lead... Brain follows

A good friend advised me one day many years ago that "what you hold in your head is what you hold in your hand"...
Bringing focus to something that we consciously want heightens our awareness and sensitivity to that object or desire. It then may seem easier to acquire or work on that which we want, as opposed to what we don't want. It allows us to see opportunity where we might otherwise not.

Be aware of the excuses/justification that can creep into our minds when creating positive change... I always try to remember to ask myself, why am I making something I want hard to get???? Why not put it into my head that it will be easy. It only seems hard because I may not have done it before or that I may not know about it. Unfamiliarity can certainly breed fear which will create judgement and negative intention... and allow me to lose my focus and give up... even before starting.

We are creatures that seem to need experience... proof if you will, before we believe something. Even then I'll hear that "well someone else can do that, but it doesn't mean that I can".

One day as my wife and I were driving in a very upscale neighbourhood looking at the beautiful homes there, I quietly expressed some envy... My astute wife simply said, "somebody's got to live there and if they can, can't anybody else". There's no reason, except the ones we make up, as to why we can't have what we want!

Suggested steps to get what you want...

1. Clarify what you want... it may be helpful to first think of what you don't want (somehow seems more natural), then think about what you do want.
2. Write what you want down... get pictures of it, talk about it.

3. Set out a specific plan of action for what you need to do to get there.

4. Set up daily accountability with someone you trust to remind you when you're not following your plan.

5. Believe that you deserve and are working on focusing and obtaining your desire.

6. You may run into the odd roadblock along the way... don't minimize these, they're providing information you didn't have at the beginning and may simply be indicators requiring you to refine or tweak your plan.

Until later
Leland

info@CounsellingandMediation.com
(905) 510-9117
(705) 443-8290

No comments:

Post a Comment